Thursday 15 January 2009

"Kepoh-ness" of Malaysians....

Note: This post applies to most of the middle aged Malaysian women (possibly some young and old ones too) ......Most of the guys would be far too busy staring at other women or or following around their wives/gfs like a servant....I think the habit is in the blood of all Malaysians (mainly aunties), and perhaps all East Asian people as well (I'm not sure about all East Asians, I'm still speculating on that)..

Just a question...Have you ever notice that some other people will look at what you have dump in your shopping basket or trolley when you go shopping? Based on my observation, I can say almost 75% of the people (Malaysians) did that. Personally, I think it's kind of irritating. Why would you want to know what other people have bought for themselves? Why? Why? Why? Friends and families are ok as they might be sharing the stuffs, of the parents might be forking out the money....but strangers? Why??!!? Is it that you want to compare the value of the stuff? Or the amount of the stuff??

I remember last time when I went to shop for some groceries at the Giant Hypermarket...I bought instant noodles, milk, fruit juices, bread, cheese...etc which are normal ordinary food rations that you can see and get in any supermarkets, and almost everyone that walked pass (mainly middle aged + female + Chinese + Malaysians) me would stare into my basket, just to see what I have bought. I was like : Why are you so concerned about what I've bought? Are you trying to compare the value of the stuff I bought??Are you going to pay for me??? Or are you going to laugh at me because I still drink vitagen??? Actually it's none of your business if I bought a year's supply of condoms!!!! Unless.....

When I was in the UK, this kind of incident never happened to me. The people there will be focusing on the goods that they want to buy. They "don't give a single shit" about your stuff, even if its the rarest thing in the entire shop. In fact, I was the one looking at other people's baskets and trolleys. So if anyone knows the reason of this weird habit, please enlighten me....I really want to know...seriously!!!

Imagine the awkard situation you'll face when you had to buy some "stuff" for the special night or when you go out with your girlfriend or mum where she had to buy the pads and stuff. (with you pushing the trolley alone while she strolls around at the other end of the shop).. The Malaysian shoppers will give you a "you are such a perverted freak" look......which I had experienced a few times....

I did a test in the Giant hypermarket and I found that 5/8 people stared at my trolley while walking pass me....So if anyone feel retarded or has tonnes of free time, just try this little test out...(Maybe it only happens to me alone as many aunties even grannies find me interesting and wanted to know more about me or my lifestyle, that's why they look at what I've bought....)

Disclaimer: I am not insulting or bashing anyone.....just feel curious about the bahaviour, tha's it...

No comments: