Wednesday 12 November 2008

Red Alert 3, the game that doesn't make sense but enjoyable...

Red alert 3 is the sequel to the popular command and conquer: Red Alert franchise. As a huge fan of the game,I quickly get myself a copy of that game through extortion from a friend. I was hoping to see new designs of my beloved prism tanks, tesla tanks, black eagle jets and the mighty grand cannon...To my utter disappointment, those units are no longer available. You can only choose 3 "countries" which are the factions of the game. So fine, maybe they keep it for future expansion. The new faction in the game after the demise of the great Yuri is the empire of the Rising Sun, which in fact is much like yuri, a psychic commando/schoolgirl like Yuri prime, fast and versatile units....etc. It gives me the feeling that Yuri faction is disguising as the Empire of the Rising Sun or maybe rules in the shadow.

The gameplay is fun and exciting as the A.I is quite challenging. For the second time in an RTS strategy game, I actually focused on micromanagement and the use of special skills..the first one being Company of Heroes. I've to use different strategies to counter the A.I's attack which can easily overwhelm my army if i screwed up at some point. I can no longer spam the Apocalypse tanks in the game..which is sad. A bunch of cheap-ass Tankbusters and some air units can easily give my Apocalyse a hard time. did I mention that apocalyse lost its Anti Air abilities???? Futhermore, the bullfrog has only anti-air capabilities...It sure doesn't make sense in real weaponry. Have you ever seen any AA guns that can only shoots planes? Look at the 88mm flak cannon...it's deadly against both planes and tanks!!!!! So on to the Red alert 3......

What makes the A.I so powerful? The developers programmed it to include different units to counter different attacks when performing an assault. Which means if you spam only 1 type of unit, then you can just start building a new army...or maybe starting a new game.The A.I is also quite fast at expanding its base, conquering all the ore mines on the map. The killing factor that makes the Brutal A.I tough is that the A.I actually or kinda cheat in the game. There's a point where i dominated 70% of the map...with most of the ore mines under my control. Cash was flowing in like Bill Gates's Earning Counter.. but I was always getting a hot girl saying "insufficient funds". This is due to spending most of them for my units (no base defense at all, all goes to building units). I was having a considerable army at that time. And guess what, my opponent, the Empire of the rising Ass actually built a large force ( not to mention with tonnes of base defenses) and overwhelmed my armies and drove back straight to the heart of my base....I was watching the A.I destroying my base bits by bits while still in disbelief....

The second scene was: I was attacking the A.I's army and managed to destroy most of the enemy's forces. The A.I then started to build more land units to defend against mine. I thrashed their forces for the second time. They continue to concentrate on the land forces to defend against my assault. Like any other great strategists will do, I secretly build up a large naval fleet, considering that I had minimal losses on my land units...I had the money to construct tonnes of submarines and the powerful dreadnought warships....The enemy clearly has no chance against me now, for I will use the dreadnoughts to bombard the enemy's base for the back then whoop them from the front. When I reached near the base, I saw A.I had an insanely large naval force..How the hell did the A.I do that????? I am already dead broke and the A.I still has the resources to contruct a naval base when I have destroyed most of its ore refinary, and still destroying waves of land units that was thrown at me. This is too much dy man.....

After a few trials and errors, I finally developed a strategy to torture the Brutal A.I back...Some took when in 10-15 minutes to finish the A.I off......(Click for larger resolution)








No comments: