Sunday 17 May 2009

Yuzu @ The Gardens

It's been a while since I had any Japanese food, and the Japanese show on Youtube made me craved for them even more...So i decided to travel around The Gardens Mall to check out the Japanese restaurants there, hoping to find a new, decent restaurant...(I always like to try out new places...)

Though there are a number of Japanese restaurants /bars/stalls around the place, most of them (the usual/chain Sushi Sanmai, Sushi Zen..etc) are so crowded that customers have to queue to get a table...and the queue was long!

I wandered for a while to find a quieter place to enjoy my meal, and I stumbled upon Yuzu on the 3rd floor. I looked around the restaurant, (settings and environment) it was dark, quiet and cozy, just the way i like it...so I thought, why not give this one a try....

I walked inside and was greeted by Indonesian workers who speak poor Nihongo...One of them then gave me the menu and served me with green tea...

Dark and cozy environment

Here's a list of what I've ordered:

chawan mushi n "special" raw salmon sushi

chawan mushi...the texture is just nice..too bad not much stuff is inside...one small piece of chicken, a slice of scallop, a slice of carrot and a small prawn...(Where is my citrus??)

"special" raw salmon sushi

"special" raw salmon sushi close up

The salmon sushi was decent. I like the fried seaweed that comes along with the sushi.

toro sushi

Toro (fat tuna belly) sushi, an item not on the menu, i specifically asked for it....(they only have the "chopped toro" sushi..). I call it, the "Hidden Sushi"....

This is one thing I was looking forward to.... the tuna belly..but as the saying goes, "the higher hopes you have, the higher disappoinment you'll get" (Don't know if i am using the correct one..oh well..)... The stingy chef gave me the toro thinner than the popiah skin.....

toro sushi close up

king tiger prawn maki...

Name is impressive but not the prawn ....the prawn is smaller than a new born baby's d**k...I was really disappointed with that...Thankfully, the prawn is really good..and that gave me some comfort...

Last note about the meal: One thing that I wasn't really satisfied with the sushis served is that the sushis were poorly made..(though the taste is decent)..And how do i know that? Well, the sushis crumble into pieces the moment i pick them up...what kind of sushi is that??????

Author's recommendation: There are other places that serve better sushi than this one, but for those who want to try Sukiyaki (Japanese Steamboat), or Japanese steak/beef dishes you can give it a try....

No comments: